Klimek Bros Well Drilling can test your water, diagnose water problems and chlorinate your well if necessary. Well Chlorination is also known as well shock chlorination or well disinfecting. We also have bags of granular chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) for sale along with well chlorination instructions (see below) for the do it your self-er that wishes to chlorinate their well on their own.
What does well chlorination do?
Chlorination disinfects your well by destroying problem bacteria and other microorganisms and removing dissolved iron, manganese and hydrogen sulfide.
When should I chlorinate my well?
You should chlorinate your well if:
- Lab tests indicate the presence of bacteria
- If you system is open for repairs or replacement
- Flood water contamination
- To control Iron or Sulfur Bacteria
BASIC WELL CHLORINATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- By-pass any water softener or water conditioning units.
- Turn off the power to the well.
- Go to the well and take off the well cap.
- Dump the Chlorine into the well.
- Take a garden hose from the outside tap and stick it into the well casing.
- Turn the power back on to the well and flush the chlorine down to water level until you smell chlorine coming from the hose.
- Go into the and open all the cold water taps; run them until you smell chlorine coming out of them. (we recommend calling Klimek Bros Well Drilling before running water out of the hot water taps).
- Turn off the water and let is sit for 5 to 6 hours. (over night works well)
- Hook 1 or 2 hoses to an outside tap and let the water run onto the ground for 3 to 4 hours. This is to flush the chlorine out of your system.
- After the water has ran for 3 to 4 hours, smell the water coming out of the hose. If you don't smell any chlorine, turn the hoses off and go to step 11. If you still smell chlorine, continue to let the hoses run.
- Turn the power off which will drain the pressure tank.
- Turn the power back on. Shut off the hoses.
- Go in to the house and run each cold water faucet until you don't smell Chlorine anymore.
- Turn the softener back to service.
- You are all done! You can return to using your water as normal!
There are different chlorination methods and extensive levels of chlorination. If you followed the above instructions and this method did not solve your water problems, please contact us to help you with a more extensive chlorination method and help you solve your water issues.
Klimek Bros Well Drilling services customers with water problems in the Alexandria Minnesota Central Lakes Area. If you are having water problems or have other water related questions, we have experts on staff.
Please give us a call at: